Fermer le menu

Local life

Getting to Rouen

Hop on a train at Saint-Lazare train station in Paris and you will be in Normandy in no time. When you get to Rouen, the Rouen Rive-droite train station in the city centre is served by several public transport services (bus, underground and TEOR bus routes), which will take you to our campuses or your accommodation.


Take the RER B train (towards Massy) à Châtelet metro station: take line 14 (towards Saint-Lazare) à Saint-Lazare train station

You can also take the Roissy bus from the airport to the Opéra metro station in Paris. From here, it takes about five minutes to walk to Saint-Lazare train station, where you can get a train to Rouen.

Alternatively, you can catch a direct bus from Roissy-Charles de Gaulle (CDG) Airport to Rouen.

From ORLY Airport

Take the Orly bus (towards Place Denfert-Rochereau) and get off at the Invalides bus stop.

Then take metro line 13 (towards Saint-Lazare), which will take you to Saint-Lazare train station. You can take a train to Rouen from here.


Take the airport shuttle bus (towards Paris – it’s the only shuttle bus service) and get off at the Porte-Maillot bus stop. From here, take metro line 1 (towards Château de Vincennes) and get off at the Châtelet metro station. From Châtelet, take metro line 14 (towards Saint-Lazare) until you get to Saint-Lazare train station, where you can catch a train to Rouen.

Detailed Paris Metro map: https://www.ratp.fr/en/plans.

Visa and residence permits

Bâtiment B4 - Michel Serres
Bâtiment B4 - Michel Serres

Espace Monde at the University of Rouen Normandy is a one-stop shop for:

  • registering at the university,
  • finding out about cultural activities, clubs and societies,
  • applying for your residence permit if you are a student from outside of the European Union or European Economic Area.

When you get to France, there are certain important formalities to be completed before you can legally study in France. You can read about them on the “Apply and study” page.

Living costs - Getting your budget right


Halls of residence (CROUS): €250-350 per month

Private residence: €350-500 per month

Housing insurance: from €20 per year

If you decide to stay in a hall of residence, you will have a choice of five halls when you apply:

  • La résidence du Bois (Mont-Saint-Aignan campus)
  • La résidence du Panorama (Mont-Saint-Aignan campus)
  • La résidence Galois
  • La résidence du Madrillet (Madrillet campus)
  • La résidence Jardin Saint-Paul

Find all the practical details on this interactive map: https://www.crous-normandie.fr/accomodation/map-accomodations/

Please note that rental rates are revised every year in January and that you may not be automatically allocated a room in a hall of residence as places are limited.

Getting around

The Greater Rouen public transport network is managed by Réseau Astuce.

Monthly Astuce travel card for the under 26: €27.50

10 journey ticket: €14.50 / 10 journey ticket for the under 26: €8.60

Single ticket: €1.70

On Saturday, traveling on Astuce transport network is free, but you must still have a ticket or travel card and validate it. No trip will be deducted from your ticket or card.
More information on free traveling on Saturdays (in French)

Food and drink

Meal at the refectory: €3,30
Scholarship recipients and low-income students: €1.

Meal at a restaurant: from €10 / Meal at a fast-food outlet: €5-10

Coffee: €2-4

Baguette: €1

Six eggs: €1.50

A sandwich+drink menu at a bakery: €5-8

A litre of milk: €1.50

Leisure activities

Cinema: €5-8 (reduced price tickets)

Museums, exhibitions: often free or between €5 and €10

A beer in a bar: from €3.50


For more information: https://fr.numbeo.com/co%C3%BBt-de-la-vie/ville/Rouen-France

Opening a bank account

If you are planning to stay in France for over three months, as a “resident”, you can open a bank account. Most banks will ask you to provide the following documents:

  • Your passport
  • Your residence permit (if required)
  • Proof of residence (rental agreement, phone, electricity or gas bill, a rent receipt, etc.) featuring your name and address to prove you live in France.

Choosing a bank

Before leaving home, check with your bank whether they are partnered with a bank in France, as this could simplify certain operations. If you don’t have any specific needs, choose one of the mainstream French banks with branches all over the country.


Halls of residence managed by the CROUS

The regional student services office (CROUS) offers over 5,600 places in fully-furnished university residences or halls at five different locations. This accommodation also offers several on-site facilities: cafeterias, laundrettes, TV rooms, parking spaces, Wi-Fi.


  • around €240 per month for a 9 m² room, with an ensuite bathroom and shared kitchen.
  • Up to €500 per month for a one-bedroom flat (T2).

When you pre-register, you can also fill in an application form for university accommodation. For more information: http://www.crous-normandie.fr/en/accomodation/

Accomodation with Studapart

In partnership with Studapart, access hundreds of exclusive offers for periods of 1 to 24 months near your campus but also throughout France during your search for internship: studios, flatshares, rooms in private homes … and benefit from a personalized support throughout your rental!

From the rental file to the reservation of the accommodation, all the steps are done online. The rental file is simplified and in 100% digital format. You can also benefit from services after your reservation, such as home insurance.

  • Exclusive offers to students of Rouen University
  • Verified ads and secure payment
  • Simplified rental file & 100% online procedures

To get started, click on the tenant space and create an account on our platform!

Private accommodation

  • Private student accommodation
  • Individual or shared accommodation rented through an agency or a landlord
  • A room rented from a live-in landlord
  • A room in a hostel run by a faith-based organisation, in a hostel for young professionals, or in social housing accommodation

Housing benefits – Caisse d’Allocation Familiale (CAF)

As a resident in France, you may be eligible to receive financial support to pay for accommodation.

To apply for housing benefits, you have to:

  • Fill in the online application on the CAF (family allowance office) website
  • Print and send the application by mail or hand it in person to the CAF office in Rouen, along with the supporting documents (don’t forget to open a bank account first!)


Housing insurance

Housing insurance is mandatory in France. You will be asked to provide a guarantor (an EU citizen) for your accommodation. If you do not have a guarantor, you can visit www.visale.fr to obtain a guarantor.

For more information: https://www.campusfrance.org/en

Health insurance

If you are from a country within the European Union, you will need to have your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) with you. That way, you won’t have to register for French health insurance.

If you are from a non-EU country, you will need to register with the CPAM (French social security scheme), even if you are already registered with a public scheme in another country or have a private insurance scheme.

Additional insurance

As a precautionary measure, you can take out insurance with a student mutual insurance company to cover any extra health costs. For more information: www.ameli.fr, www.smeno.com, www.lmde.com.

Discovering the area

Rouen is in the Seine-Maritime department, in Normandy. Only an hour from Paris and the coast, and only thirty minutes from the Seine-Eure area, which offers a wide range of heritage and nature activities, Greater Rouen is ideally situated. As a dynamic and student-friendly place, it offers great opportunities for everyone.

Things to see and do in Rouen: https://en.rouentourisme.com/

Things to see and do in Normandy: http://en.normandie-tourisme.fr/normandy-tourism-1-2.html